Wednesday, August 20, 2008


Back in May of this year, I had the opportunity to undergo a Lap Band operation to ensure my lifelong efforts of losing weight and dieting. So far, since having the operation, I have lost a whopping 21 kg and am pleased as punch. I still have a long way to go, but am already feeling the benefits from it, and there have been several changes in clothing sizes also. In another couple of months, I will find it hard to recognise myself.

Since I have recovered, I have been able to get back into my feltmaking, and I have posted the picture left, of the latest wall hanging that I have made. I have done it for my niece, Sarah, who will be getting married in November. Because like all the rest of the young people who live together for a while before they marry, they already have a house full of gear and do not need the regular things that one buys for the wedding gifts. So, it comes as no surprise to find that I would make something unique from felt.


I am also now working on another wall hanging which I have envisaged as being presented as a triptych. Pictures are not available just now, as it has only just been started and is still undergoing construction.


I am getting excited about my up and coming trip in October, to New Zealand. I floated the idea to my sister in Queensland, and asked to to accompany me, and she jumped at the chance. We had to wait however, until she could save the money for her fare and other costs, and it worked out that Spring would be a great time to go. We are going for 10 days, to Auckland first, then hiring a car, driving up to the Bay of Islands etc, then back to Auckland where we will be catching a Tour Coach which takes us through Rotarua and down to Wellington, back again to Auckland and then fly back home. We plan to hit the galleries and Museums and maybe take a multitude of photos, having a lot of fun on the way. Today, I think I made the final arrangements for the trip, and all I have to do now is save more spending money.


In the meantime, there is work to go to, wool to play with as well as friends to associate with, and to make more friends. One of the more unpleasant tasks that I have to do is my annual tax return, which will have to be done before I go to New Zealand. It is just a matter of getting all the paperwork together and getting it done.


With my felt, I participated in an exchange with the AussieFeltmakers. We have all done a handbag, sent it off, and now all there is to do, is to expect one back that another Aussie Feltmaker has made. My handywork is pictured.

The weather here in Perth is getting warmer, but one would not think so tonight. After a rather beautiful day for part of it, the evening turned really cold, and now I have my heater going. I have been keeping warm by walking on the treadmill and doing a circuit training workout. I guess I am still trying to learn how to enjoy doing that, as I am not and never have been a gym junkie, but feel that it is a necessary evil at this stage. Roll on the summer, so I say. I have always been more of a summer person than enjoying what winter has to offer. I am like a bear, and would love to hibernate in the winter. As I get older though, I do appreciate the Autumn and Spring more than the Summer or Winter.

At the beginning of the month, I took my mother, who is an avid patchworker, to the WA Quilt and Craft Fair, which was staged at the Claremont Showgrounds, as it always is, on an annual basis. We thoroughly enjoyed all that we saw, but a lot of people asked me, as they know that I am a member of FeltWEST, "why is FeltWEST not represented at this or another Craft Fair that they mentioned". As it used to be originally. All I can tell them is that I do not know what drives the decision of the current committee, and why they think that it is not worth the exposure that Felting would get. I have been told that it is not profitable for FeltWEST, but as I recall, the incorporated body of felters in Western Australia is a non profit organisation, so I for one, think that it is time that they were represented again. Maybe if the organisation will not, then it will be up to a few other members to participate off their own instigation.

Lets see if this posting will draw any feed back from any of the members.

Until next time

Julie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kiaora Julie; Enjoy your NZ holiday but at this time of the year it will still be wet and cold. Be prepared. I'm looking fwd to hearing all about it when we next meet.
Ian